Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Life-changing: Allrecipes.com

Note:  Self proclaimed "food snobs" or "foodies" need not read this post.... this likely will not change your life. :)

I'm a baker.  It just seems to fit nicely with my personality in that it rewards structure, discipline and perseverance with something sweet.  Cooking.... not so much.  In my mind, cooking rewards creativity, finesse, and flexibility..... unfortunately, not strong traits of mine.  So, until about a year or so ago, I would happily distribute cookies, breads, cakes, etc. to my family and friends while being struck with anxiety and fear at the idea of hosting them for a dinner party.

That all changed when I discovered allrecipes.com.....  Here's why:
  1. There is strength in numbers:  This site is huge!  There are thousands of recipes to search and lots of folks providing feedback on the recipes.  So, when 54 THOUSAND people have saved a Chicken and Biscuit recipe and have given it 4.5 out of 5 stars; I feel relatively confident that the recipe is going to be good.
  2. Variety:  Prior to allrecipes, I had my standard 5-6 recipes that I made week in and week out for my family.  Here, you can sign up for a new recipe to be e:mailed to you each day.
  3. The recipes are simple:  Hence my foodie note above.  You won't find a lot of complicated ingredients and instructions here (at least I haven't) which suits me and my three picky eaters just fine.
  4. It's easy to use:  There is a great search engine if you have a craving for a certain dish.  And, if you register, you can set up an online recipe box and store all your recipes on their site.  With the click of a button you can add, delete or rearrange them anyway you'd like.  Now, instead of searching thru my cookbooks in frustration; I just carry my laptop into the kitchen with me.
  5. It's free! 
  6. But, it's life-changing because it has allowed me to experience success in cooking which has given me the confidence to try out more recipes, do more entertaining, and finally replace that anxiety with joy in the kitchen (and maybe a couple of pounds) :)
Here is that Chicken and Biscuit recipe I'll be trying out next week.


Chicken and Biscuit Casserole
recipe image
Rated:rating
Submitted By: CVERNSMITH
Photo By: mominml
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Servings: 6

"Packed with assorted veggies, this giant chicken pot pie wears a delicate buttermilk biscuit topping."
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) can peas, drained
4 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
2 cups buttermilk baking mix
2 teaspoons dried basil
2/3 cup milk
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
2.In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots in butter until tender. Mix in the flour, sugar, salt, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and pepper. Stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil 1 minute, reduce heat, and stir in peas. Simmer 5 minutes, then mix in chicken. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
3.In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix and 2 teaspoons dried basil. Stir in milk to form a dough. Divide the dough into 6 to 8 balls. On floured wax paper, use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball of dough into a circular shape; place on top of chicken mixture.
4.Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake for 10 more minutes. To serve, spoon chicken mixture over biscuits.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 10/4/2011


Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!