Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Knock, Knock...

One of my favorite things to do as we travel throughout Europe is take pictures of door knockers (and cappuccinos) :).  There is just something about them that mesmerizes me... their intricate patterns, symbolism..... perhaps knowing that some of these doors are centuries old excites my imagination.... the hands that have touched them, the stories they could tell....

The elderly couple who lives across the street from me in Switzerland still has a door knocker (no bell)... and it makes me smile each time I hear that "clank, clank, clank" of the iron....


Ofcourse, there is little practical use for door knockers in modern construction today.... but since when has practical use ever really trumped good old fashioned charm?  The door knocker business appears to be alive and well with a variety of finishes and styles to suit any taste.  Here is just a tiny sampling of some catching my eye (Amazon has a huge selection)...


Some friends of mine gave me a lion from Venice and those of you who know me (or have been following along for more than, oh, a week) will know that I couldn't resist the initial one either.  Herein lies the problem.... both my front and back door in the States are glass paned!  Hmmm... the powder room is definitely a target as is my teenager's room. :)

1 comment:

  1. My mom and dad have a beautiful brass sea shell that they had on their old house. When they moved, they had the same problem you have... no door to actually mount the door knocker, so they mounted it on the wood next to the door. It looks nice there and it is a reminder of when it was on the door of their old house. I love door knockers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!