Friday, April 27, 2012

Thumbs Up.....


Child:
I have two little thumbies
They're with me day and night.
My favorite thumb is on my left.
The other's on my right
My thumbies always comfort me
when I am feeling sad.
They help me to protect myself
when I am feeling mad.
My thumbies help me fall asleep
when I am feeling tired.
I do not know how better friends
could ever be desired.
My mother says it's time to quit--
that sucking thumbs is bad.
And every time I suck my thumbs,
my mom gets very mad.
Mom:
You've got to quit. Don't suck your thumbs--
your left one or your right.
It's pushing all your front teeth out.
It's ruining your bite.
It might take years to get straight teeth,
with braces on your mouth.
It isn't fun. Believe me, son.
So keep your thumbs down south.


All of my girls have been thumb suckers (my youngest two still are) as was I as a child.  Problem is, I really don't mind it that much...... when I see them sucking their thumbs it reminds me that they are my babies and it makes me want to share a cuddle with them....... and who cares?..... they are going to need braces anyway! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Read on... you'll figure it out...April 27, 2012

    Ah, yes... I recall the days when I said.. "Come on, she's not going to be sucking that finger when she is twelve." :) Should I be proud my child might just break that barrier? At least she's wise enough to only partake at home. And believe it or not, a friend in conversation just last week reminded me... you never see a bride coming down the aisle sucking her finger. Really! Is that what I'm going to now? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I still had one young enough to suck their thumb! It's great you don't wish for their 'phases' to hurry by, Crissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never want to give up these sweet baby phases. I would let them suck them until there are ten if my child was into it. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. suddenly feeling better about our little one's pacifiers...need to start saving for braces now. Love the poems, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this is so funny and so true. Back in my day (ha!) you only had braces if necessary to protect the teeth from becoming damaged over time. Now a days most kids end up with several "phases" of braces! Both my kids were thumb suckers and both had braces. When a baby finds their thumb, it brings them a lot of comfort and can help them to relax and sleep. This notion of creating a life long habit of thumb sucking is silly. My son (in particular) also used to run around naked all the time... and suck his thumb. He is 23 now and is a successful adult and no longer sucks his thumb or runs around naked.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! Haha. I was SO excited when Mila found her thumb...made sleeping so much easier for her (and us)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, I love when Marlowe sucks her thumb. Loved the poem; true, I'm going to need braces because I sucked my thumb. Have a good day I love you.

    Ashytn

    ReplyDelete
  8. So precious. I always wanted my baby's to find there thumbs. They sleep better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!