Monday, January 02, 2012

Memoirs: The Yearly Photo Album


I've finished updating this book for the year; but before I can officially close-out 2011; I need to finish this project..... our family photo album.  Unfortunately, the days of printing out photos ended for me upon the receipt of my first digital camera some 7 years ago and I'm dreadfully pitiful at scrapbooking.  So in their place I've committed to creating one album each year capturing our vacation adventures, birthdays, milestones, and miscellany of everyday life.  I use Shutterfly because it is easy to upload photos and add text to the pages and mostly because I prefer a consistent look to create a library of these black leather 8 x 11 treasure troves of our family's history.

In addition to my own commentary on the pages documenting our family's history; this year I'll be reserving the last page to capture the top events in the world as well.  I'm often amazed at how my memory fails me when prompted to recall what was happening in any given year.  I think it will be great for my girls to look back when they are older and "remember when" too.....


Top News Stories

  1. Casey Anthony Trial
  2. Japan Earthquake and Tsunami
  3. Royal Wedding
  4. Death of Osama bin Laden
  5. Unemployment
  6. Arizona Shooting
  7. Death of Amy Winehouse
  8. Arab Spring
  9. Libya/Death of Moammar Gadhafi
  10. Occupy Wall Street


along with some fun social media facts:


Top Song:  "I Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum
Best-selling fiction book:  "The Help" 
Best-selling non-fiction book:  "Heaven is for Real" 
Best-selling youth book:  "The Hunger Games"
Popular TV shows:  Modern Family, American Idol 
Popular Young Pop Stars:  Justin Beiber, Selena Gomez
Fashion Trends:  Sperry Top-siders, Ugg boots, North Face
Hot Technology:  iPhone, iPad, iTouch




and family facts not otherwise captured in the album:


Mine & daddy's favorite artist of the year:  Adele
The girls' favorite artist of the year:  Taylor Swift
Ashtyn & Holden's favorite TV shows: The X Factor; Wipe-out, Extreme Home Makeover, Good Luck Charlie
Marlowe's favorite TV shows:  Blue's Clues, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora the Explorer
Daddy's favorite TV shows:  CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes
Our favorite restaurants:  Mio's pizza, Skyline Chili......


How about you?  Do you have a favorite way of recording your family's year?

1 comment:

  1. I make one of these every year too. Love the idea of adding some current news stories and favorites at the end. I need to do some catching up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!