Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Fashion: The Ruffle Front Coat

One thing I can't get enough of this season is the ruffle front coat.  I adore ruffles on classic silhouettes like blouses, scarves, skirts and dresses but I'm especially fond of this unexpected feminine touch on coats.


Garnet Hill

Garnet Hill

Nicole Miller


Paul & Joe

Piperlime (my favorite & on sale for only $58!)

Loft

Burberry (this is the coat Kate Middleton made famous!)

A few words on wearing ruffles of any kind (in my humble opinion, ofcourse!):
  1. Use restraint:  One ruffle in an ensemble is plenty..... too many and you look like you belong on the top of a cake. :)
  2. Balance:  Balance out the femininity of a ruffle with something more masculine like a simple crewneck sweater underneath or a pair of boots.
  3. Color:  To avoid looking childish or too contrived; stick with ruffles on more subdued colors in the Fall and Winter.
  4. Proportion:  If you are petite, choose a blazer or above the knee silhouette in order to keep the ruffle from becoming too overpowering.
What's your opinion?
 Take it or leave it with the ruffle front coat?

For links to the store web pages; visit House of Marlowe/Pinterest/Fashion

2 comments:

  1. My favorite jacket was the long on with the ruffle going down the side 3 down and the gray one 5th down! I love you moms you are the best thanks for being so great. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good ruffle. What a sweet little girl you have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!