Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's a wrap!....... part I

......... I have a thing for wrapping or should I say I have a thing for beautifully wrapped gifts.  It doesn't matter what time of year, I hoard wrapping paper, ribbons, gift tags and such in excited anticipation of having the occasion to wrap a pretty package to give as a gift....... so while others might grimace at the thought of wrapping all those gifts this time of year...... I am filled with delight at the idea of double stick tape, ric rac, folded corners ...... and pretty packages under my tree and adorning nooks and crannies in my home.

One trend I'm going to try out this year is wrapping with fabric.   Known as furoshiki in Japan, the art of wrapping gifts in cloth is a tradition symbolizing both the importance of the entire gift experience in Japanese culture as well as the country's desire to cut down on waste.   The overall effect is quite special and lovely, I think, and allows for so much creativity as seen in the photos below:















I love the idea of using a vintage scarf, handkerchief, or hand towel that can serve as two gifts-in-one.... and what better way to use leftover fabric than to style it into something lovely around a wine bottle or potted paperwhite...... the opportunities are endless!  For a super short/they make it look so easy tutorial, check out this video and.......




Get your furoshiki on! :)

image sources

1 comment:

  1. What about that gingham shirt wrapped box with the brooch? I LOVE that! Can't wait to see what's under your tree this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!