Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Art: Decorating with Plates

Thought I'd provide a little inspiration today in the form of "plate art".  Ever since I spotted this photo I've been taken with the idea of creating a similar wall in my home. The great thing about this type of project is that the sky is the limit; 3 plates or 20; all one color or a lot of colors; a themed collection or a haphazard mix; all plates or a plate incorporated among other art pieces; all the same size or varying sizes; hung symmetrically or with no symmetry whatsoever; French country, contemporary or a little kitsch......


I'm particularly fond of the way they are sort of randomly placed in the photo above to create interest and height; like a work in progress.... but the possibilities are literally limitless as evidenced in the charming examples below......  





















I've been picking up plates for my wall as I see them at places like Anthropologie or Homegoods and I'm sure if I had the time I could find lots of them at thrift or antique stores.  Others are lucky enough to have inherited some great pieces from family members.  It would even be fun to make it a family project by designing custom plates at your local pottery studio.  But, if you want instant gratification or an easy starting point from which to build on, check out these:


Available in a spectrum of colors and incorporating three of my very favorite things:  a monogram, chevron and stripes...... 

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for featuring our wall collection for instant gratification! I'm always happy to create a look that appears collected over time if one is looking for a less 'polished' look. ;)

    Fabulous blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you did this post!I have plates in my dinning room. I think it is all in the way you hang them.You have found so many great examples of great ways to hang them that are artistic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!